Safety and security import declarations service guide
Version 1.5 issued 22 Feb 2021
This guide explains how you can use our Safety and Security (S&S GB) APIs with your software to submit an Entry Summary declaration (also known as an ENS) to import goods into Great Britain.
Our APIs will allow your software to submit Import Declarations and receive notifications and outcomes information.
This guide explains how you can integrate your software with the S&S GB APIs:
- Safety and Security Import Declarations API
- Safety and Security Import Notifications API
- Safety and Security Import Control Entry Summary Declaration Outcomes API
Safety and Security Import Declarations API
This API allows you to:
- create a new ENS submission
- amend an existing ENS submission
Safety and Security Import Notifications API
This API allows you to:
- get a list of notifications
- retrieve a notification
- acknowledge a notification
Safety and Security Import Outcomes API
This API will allow you to:
- get a list of outcomes
- retrieve an outcome
- acknowledge an outcome
The response will also include a movement reference number.
These APIs will receive new ENS submissions or amendments and will return a response or an error message for the end-user.
Traders moving goods into Great Britain need to make an entry summary declaration. To submit the declaration traders must be registered with the S&S GB service.
S&S GB handles digital communications between customs administrators and carriers (or their appointed representatives), and is designed to incorporate the:
- lodging, handling and processing of the ENS in advance of the arrival of goods
- issuing of a Movement Reference Number (MRN)
The MRN is a Customs computer system-generated number that is automatically allocated after a successful validation. The MRN must be issued to the carrier and, where different, the declarant.
The ENS must be lodged before goods arrive into the UK, and before loading in the case of maritime deep-sea containerised shipping.
The carrier or their authorised representative submitting the ENS must have a valid GB Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI) number.
For more information, see EORI Guidance pages on GOV.UK.
S&S GB cannot be used for entry summary declarations where the office of first entry is a Northern Ireland port.
End-to-end user journeys
These journeys show examples of use. Journeys for businesses and agents are broken down into:
- submitting a new ENS (IE315), amending a ENS (IE313) and receiving, downloading and acknowledging messages (accepted or rejected)
- receiving, downloading and acknowledging Advanced Intervention (IE351) notification messages
Related API documentation
Additional information can be found at Import Control System: support for software developers)
- advanced notifications endpoints description and field descriptions added to service guide
- updated XML reference
- ENS Validation added
- Change of name from Safety and Security to S&S GB
- Requirement for traders to enrol with S&S GB
- Update IE313 and IE315 submission examples to reflect optional MesRecMES6 element
- Fix MesRecMES6 format in example IE351 notification response
- Rewording of Overview section
- Revision of Field Details