This version is in beta - expect some breaking changes.
Check a UK VAT number API
|Version and status|
|Available in Sandbox||Yes|
|Sandbox base URL||https://test-api.service.hmrc.gov.uk|
|Available in Production||Yes|
|Production base URL||https://api.service.hmrc.gov.uk|
This API enables your application to:
- check if a UK VAT number is registered
- view the name and address of the business that the UK VAT number is registered to
- get a reference number that you can use to prove you checked a UK VAT number
The Check a UK VAT Number API works in two modes:
- Simple unverified check, which does not provide a reference number
- Verified check, which provides a reference number
You can use the sandbox environment to test this API.
Access a set of mock VAT registration numbers to use when testing in the sandbox environment.
The way we show Check a UK VAT number API v1.0 endpoints has changed, which might look different to other Developer Hub APIs.
The API has not changed. You do not need to make any updates to your application if you already use this API.